“I'm proud to work alongside the good folks in our division who work hard every day to ensure that Virginia Tech is a beautiful, efficient, and safe place to live, learn, and work."
Sherwood G. Wilson
Vice President for Operations
The Division of Operations is the largest senior management area at Virginia Tech. More than 800 employees in the division are responsible for the health, safety, and well-being of the university's 13,000 employees, 31,000 students, and about 55,000 visitors each year. Additionally, division employees maintain more than 125 building, 2,600 acres of property, and an airport.
Departments within the division include:
- Business Services — Provides support to the university through air transportation services, alternative transportation, fleet services, mail, parking, printing, and copier management. Oversees information technology and business operations management consulting for the division.
- Emergency Management — Coordinates planning, training, response, and recovery efforts to ensure emergency readiness of the university community. Promotes a culture of preparedness.
- Environmental Health and Safety — Promotes a safety culture at the university in areas such as biosafety, lab safety, and occupational safety. Provides compliance support, training, and hazardous waste removal.
- Equity and Accessibility — Assists in creating and maintaining an inclusive, diverse, and respectful learning, living, and working environments.
- Facilities — Manages planning, construction, design, maintenance, and operational services for buildings, grounds, and utilities. Oversees real estate, university building official, GIS, building space and the Virginia Tech Quarry.
- Police — Enhances the safety of the university community through effective law enforcement and proactive crime prevention. Oversees the Virginia Tech Rescue Squad.